Wednesday, August 24, 2011

On the Road

I am driving a Ford Focus that is already 8 years old with plenty of miles.  I had been living in the Boston area, doing an hour commute, each way, to READS Collaborative, working as a teacher of the Deaf.  For most of those 10 years at READS, I had the Focus.  What I love about it is that it is spacious yet compact, affordable and good on gas mileage.  It is zippy!  The color:  champagne, although technically it is called tan...but to me, it is not tan!  Most recently, my Focus that was being driven by my sister's kids while I travel, passed on...it was a good 11 years.  

See full size imageAnyway...I am on the road again after visiting Virginia Beach, The Outer Banks, NC and am heading toward Myrtle Beach, SC.  The Focus is my home on the road.  It carries all that I have and it is the one valuable thing that I own outside of small trinkets of sentimental (and spiritual) value.   As I head South down the Eastern coast, I drive about 6-8 hours a day.  I want to enjoy the journey and not just get to the goal.  I stop along the way.  I stay away from the restaurant chains and venture into local places.

See full size imageI am still struggling with my fear as I drive and each time I stop and make a transition into the real world.  I am not quite as relaxed as I want to be, but I am recognizing that this solo road trip is a profound experience that will help me let go and allow myself to trust and be free at the cellular level.  I am striving and desiring to be lighthearted, carefree, and in joy, to the fullest.   In some ways, as I drive, my car has become my safe haven where I don't have to put out any energy into anything that is challenging for me.  However, I find that when I do interact, my enthusiasm for this trip, for the freedom that I do feel is evident and all my interactions are pleasant and supportive.




No comments:

Post a Comment